>    

Friday

Happy National Fried Chicken Day!!

Fried chicken is a rarity at our house for a couple of reasons. Primarily, frying foods in large enough quantity to feed our family takes a level of undivided attention on my part that I struggle to master.  Additionally, our food allergies make it hard to find frozen chicken nugget options or restaurant offerings that are not at least processed in a facility with something that would send our little one straight to the hospital.   But when I learned that today was National Fried Chicken Day.  I had to make it happen.

Chicken Nuggets - The Ingredients
  • 4 Boneless, Skinless, Organic Chicken Breasts (Cubed)
  • 2-4 Cups of Organic All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • a Dash of Cinnamon
  • a Dash of Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper to Taste, Canola Oil

The only part of this that I have my little on help with is the mixing of dry ingredients.  I had him pour the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, onion powder, salt and pepper and a bowl and whisk them together.  Then I add the cleaned, cubed chicken to the bowl and give them a toss until well and evenly coated.

It's time to get frying. I use and enamel cast iron bowl with about 2 inches of canola oil heated to a medium high heat. In a circular pattern.  I add each cube individually to the pot.  Then wait for them to bubble up to the top and turn a nice golden brown color.  It takes several batches but I like to be sure that I don't overcrowd the pot.  

Sunbutter & Blue Agave Dipping Sauce
This is one of the only dipping sauces my little one will ever eat.  It's yummy, super easy, and great for chicken, fruit, or crackers.  It's also great for little helpers because it is no cook.  Simple mix the below ingredients in a bowl and serve!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 Cup Organic Blue Agave Syrup
  • 1 tbsp Sun Butter
  • A pinch of cinnamon 
  • A pinch of Chinese 5 spice




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wasting Nothing Philosophy

Playing, cooking, reading, exploring, loving, laughing, and making a mess with your little one is NEVER a waste of time! It is priority one! It's not just about getting to know your little one. It's about letting your little one get to know you!