Sunday

Reflection on Mommyhood ...

The truth is, it is still hard for me to believe I am lucky enough to be a mom to my wonderful boys.  I love being a mom; but mostly, I love being a mom to my adorable, sweet, polite, outdoor loving, dirt digging in, sometimes tantrum throwing, bath resisting, big hugging, laughing, heartbreaking crying boys.  There is no better job on the planet.  Yes, the hours are brutal and as a mom of toddlers and babies I spend a fair amount of time handling and properly disposing of hazardous waste.  But, I love it and while there is no doubt I am tired ... I am not exhausted from my role in my house and in my boys life. 

I tend to view the title of mom as a gift, a humbling responsibility.    I think this is largely because of my awesome mom.  When I was a child she had the magical touch that healed nearly every hurt, the loving words that helped me learn to cope with the hurts that would linger for a while, and the ability to see right through to the heart of me.  As an adult, she has been able to understand that I am my own person, respect my decisions, encourage me through failures (even the ones she saw coming way before I did), love my whole family and celebrate every joy. 

One of the most joyous things about motherhood is watching my mom become such a terrific Grandma!  A few months ago, my mom was teaching the littles how to make biscuits.  Something, went a bit wrong. And I heard her gently say, "That's okay we will just fold it over and begin again.  These things happen.  We will still have delicious biscuits".  That's my mom, effortlessly teaching tenacity, compassion, and love in the smallest of moments.

The best gift I recieved from my mom is knowing that she has always seen and loved me, the independent person.  While I know she feels my every success, failure, and milestone almost as deeply as I do.  I also know that she has helped to equip me to deal with all of them.  I am so blessed to have a mom who guided me through my childhood and who mentors and stands beside me as an adult.

Following her example, I hope to raise my boys to know they are perfect and unique creations, that they are well able to meet the challenges and triumphs that lie ahead, and that I will always love them for just who they are! 

Thank you to my precious boys for making me a mom and my mom for inspiring me everyday!

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wasting Nothing Philosophy

Playing, cooking, reading, exploring, loving, laughing, and making a mess with your little one is NEVER a waste of time! It is priority one! It's not just about getting to know your little one. It's about letting your little one get to know you!