Monday

Honey, Our Veggies are Home!!


A few mornings ago, I woke up expecting a special delivery.   No, it’s not yet my due date.  It’s not pizza, Chinese food, or the UPS man.  It is locally grown, farm fresh veggies!!  I am, at the same time, both irrationally excited and intensely skeptical about the whole experience!  I love eating locally grown, organic foods; but even the most avid organic shopper has to confess that convenience and farm fresh, organic foods are not words you typically see together.  All that could be about to change for me with the help of a local company, Palmetto Organics!!









Palmetto Organics promises to deliver the farmers' market to your door at a competitive price.  While I love heading out to local farms with the little ones, especially for U-Pick adventures, it is daunting to try to do on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.  Not to mention with the ever-increasing price of gas, our family’s ability to go on a farm touring adventure has by in large been restricted to a special occasion.  As a result, I find myself hunting around local green markets and the grocery store for most of my organic foods.  

To Market, To Market
I love my local green market.  It’s fun to visit, close by, and offers really affordable prices.  So why do I end up at the grocery store more often than not?  It all comes down to quantity and diversity of food available.  Ultimately, I can almost always find some delicious, great-looking veggies, but never enough to get us through the week.  So I supplement my green market purchases with grocery store finds.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the ever-growing organic section at my grocer.   However, I am often disappointed at the quality of the items, comparative price, and distance the food has traveled to get to shelf. 

What has me so excited about Palmetto Organics? 
I love that I am primarily receiving veggies from farms with 120 mile radius of Palmetto’s location.  That means fresh food faster for me, support to my local organic farmers, and less negative impact on the environment.  You order by the pound from Palmetto Organics; so it really resolves my quantity quandary.  Additionally, they take note my family’s veggie preferences and food allergies to ensure that we get the most useful and safest veggies for us. Then there is the whole delivered straight to my door with no delivery charge aspect of the deal.  Of course, I was here checking the door every 15 minutes or so; but I didn’t have to be.  You can leave a cooler of ice for them to place your veggies in.  It’s super convenient.  The diversity offered is also very inspiring. 

What has me thinking twice about Palmetto Organics?
Virtually, nothing!  Two of the items provided in my bag did exceed the 120 mile test.  However, when I asked I got a very quick, responsible and in my view acceptable response from Palmetto.  Thier first priority is to ensure that they are providing certified organic produce and fruits.  According to Palmetto more than 70% of the time the produce is locally grown.  I ran a price comparison and, realistically based on my budget tracker, Palmetto is competitively priced.  However, it’s neither the cheapest nor the most expensive option on our table.  I found that I get my best prices when I can buy in bulk directly from a U-Pick or local farm.  Those savings are variable based on the distance the farm is from my home, frequency of visit, as well as whether the produce requires freezing, pickling, jamming, or a barn raising sized party to not waste the volume of food I purchase.  On a weekly basis, I seem to get my best price per ounce from my local green market.  Yet, the availability of options at the market closest to me is not going to supply my family’s veggies for a whole week. 

The Verdict


Palmetto delivers!  I was delighted with the quality, quantity and price of items provided.  You can see them pictured above.  They were both beautiful and scrumptious.  We had zero waste!  Which means my toddler, self acknowledged picky-eater of a husband and myself ate everything we purchased.  No waste to the environment or our budget!!  Even of those fruits that failed to meet the 120 mile from home test were significantly fresher than what I'm able to purchase at the grocery store.  My sweet potatoes came complete with dirt still on the skin.  In my book, that’s a good thing!!  The quantity was a great fit for our family and there was a nice ratio of fruit to veggie provided!!  

If you are interested in ordering from Palmetto, be sure to mention that you read about them on Wasting Nothing and you will save! "No Sign Up fee - $15 off the delivery".  :)  Gotta love that ... THANKS PALMETTO!!

The Wasting Nothing Philosophy

Playing, cooking, reading, exploring, loving, laughing, and making a mess with your little one is NEVER a waste of time! It is priority one! It's not just about getting to know your little one. It's about letting your little one get to know you!